Are you tired of trying non-prescription acne products? Nothing has worked out for you. It is better than you ask the dermatologist for the right treatment plan. He can suggest you:
- The treatment to control the acne
- How to avoid scarring and sun damage to the skin?
- How the presence of scars can be less noticeable?
How does acne medication work?
The medications prescribed to you will work by reducing swelling and oil production or it can treat the bacterial infection. With non-prescription medications, you will be able to see the results within 4 to 8 weeks. The acne might clear up completely within a few months or it can take years. The doctor will strategize the treatment on the following basis:
- Depending on your age
- Type of acne
- Severity of acne
- Are you willing to follow the doctors’ suggestions?
What are the possible treatment options?
- Retinoids and retinoid-like drugs
|Best treated for||Moderate acne|
|Types||Creams, lotions, and gels|
|How many times need to be applied?||3 times a week. It is best that you ask the doctor and do what he says.|
If you apply topical retinoids then it increases sun sensitivity. It is possible it increases redness and makes your skin dry.
|Works best for||Kills excess bacteria and reduce inflammation & bacteria|
|Treatment plan||Initially, both antibiotic and retinoid are used.|
- Azelaic acid and salicylic acid
|Effectiveness||Azelaic acid has antibacterial properties and it is as effective as many conventional treatments.|
|Best option||It can even be used during breast-feeding and pregnancy.|
|Help in||It helps in managing the discoloration and some type of acne also|
- Antibiotics are suggested for moderate to severe acne
- Initially, tetracycline and macrolide are suggested.
Although the antibiotics are suggested only for a short period. It is better to talk to the doctor to make the right choice on what is best for you.
Combined oral contraceptives
As per FDA, 4 oral contraceptives are combined for women with acne and who are pregnant. The combination of these products has progestin and estrogen. The benefits are not seen right away.
This medication is best suited for adolescent girls and women if antibiotics are not helping their situation. The medications can block the androgen hormone which is produced by the oil glands. Some of the possible side-effects are a painful menstrual cycle and breast tenderness.
Isotretinoin is the derivative of Vitamin A. It is best for people who have moderate to severe acne and other treatments have not worked the best for them. If your doctor has suggested you this medication, then make sure that you visit for the follow-up checkups without any delay.
Therapies and medications can be used in some cases to get the best results.
- Light Therapy : The option of light-based therapy can be helpful in some cases. For this, you need to visit the doctor multiple times. Although further study is needed to determine what is a light source, and how much dosage is needed.
- Chemical Peel : During a chemical peel, repeated applications are used of the chemical solution which includes retinoic acid, salicylic acid, and glycolic acid. The treatment will help to change the skin appearance but its change will not be as long-lasting. You need to get the treatment repeated.
- Drainage and Extraction : To remove blackheads and whiteheads, the doctor will make use of special tools. The cysts which are not able to clear up with topical medications will be greatly benefited from this option.
- Steroid injection : Steroid drugs will be best for cystic and nodular lesions. For rapid improvement and to limit the pain, this option is the reliable choice.
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Wash affected areas with a gentle cleanser.
- Try over-the-counter acne products which limit oil production and promote peeling
- Creams are less irritating than gels or ointments
- Avoid irritants
- Protect your skin from the sun
- Shower after strenuous activities
- Avoid friction or pressure on your skin
- Avoid touching or picking acne-prone areas